Friday 30 October 2015

I've Just Seen: The Way We Were (1973)

The Way We Were (1973)

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/the-way-we-were-1973/large_sEiDGnf5FpvJyt6qraksZHFrg6G.jpg

Director: Sydney Pollack

I like both Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford as screen presences; they are very good actors, and I have enjoyed all of the roles I have seen Streisand do. Having both Babs and Redford together seemed to guarantee enjoyment. While they are both good in this, Streisand in particular, I had some major misgivings with the film.

Reading about the history of the film's production on Wikipedia, the unfocused story of The Way We Were made more sense. I thought I was in for a culture-clash romance; I got some of that, but also dips into McCarthyism and Hollywood. The film didn't seem to know which to focus on, the result being two rather undeveloped storylines. Mixing the two could have been done in an interesting way, but those who want a romance between Redford and Streisand might not want to see a film about the House Un-American Activities Commitee (or communism), and vice versa.

The film is romantic and Streisand and Redford have good chemistry together, but apart from that there is not much else to this film. The famous theme song, with its melancholic tune, hides the fieriness of the couple's relationship, but suits the film's ending. Watch for Babs being awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment