Tuesday 13 October 2015

I've Just Seen: Irma la Douce (1963)

Irma la Douce (1963)

http://images.moviepostershop.com/irma-la-douce-movie-poster-1963-1010673902.jpg
Director: Billy Wilder

I have previously said that I haven't yet seen a Wilder film I didn't like. After watching Irma la Douce, that is still true; I did enjoy this. However, it is Wilder-lite, with less of the unsettling comedy of Some Like It Hot or The Major and the Minor, and mainly on the screwball/ farce aspect. I love Jack Lemmon, so watching him on screen is always a joy. He and MacLaine have good chemistry like they did in The Apartment.

The story is deliberately complicated. I was slightly surprised how much more overt in its sexuality than other Wilder films; in The Apartment, the more secretive approach makes the subject more dirtier (for want of a better word). There were a few nods to Some Like It Hot, including some of 'Sweet Sue's Society Syncopators' playing Irma's fellow prostitutes.

This was enjoyable fluff. I wouldn't recommend it as an example of Wilder's brilliance as a director, but for a couple of hours, it is good fun.

4 comments:

  1. I seem to really like this one more than most people. I mean, it's not Wilder's best...but it's so much fun, and MacLaine is always such a joy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, and MacLaine is very good. Wilder knew how to be entertaining, and that is clear here. The costumes were also quite good; MacLaine's green number is lovely!

      Delete
  2. I didn't so much dislike it as simply not like it much. It's the least of the Wilder I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, it is my least favourite Wilder film, but I still enjoyed it. Of all his films I had the least 'Wilder touch' in terms of story, and the 60s widescreen format emphasised that feeling.

      Delete