Sunday 1 May 2016

I've Just Seen: Funny Girl (1968)

Funny Girl (1968)

http://www.screeninsults.com/images/funny-girl-poster.jpg

Director: William Wyler

For some reason I had seen the sequel Funny Lady before I watched Funny Girl, so knew the outcome of Fanny Brice's marriage. The story rather resembles A Star is Born, with its focus on the strains fame and fortune has on marriage. I do enjoy Barbra Streisand on screen; she has a confidence to her performances that is charming, and few people can deliver quips the quick way she does. The character of Fanny Brice allows her to show off all her skills, and it is almost impossible to look at anyone else when she is in frame.

The a few of the songs from the film were recognisable, especially 'Don't Rain on My Parade' which is sung smack bang in the film's middle. The scenes of Fanny performing vaudeville and the Follies are very funny, particularly when she undermines the creative choices, pretending to be pregnant in one such serious number about marriage. I liked the film less when it got more serious and dramatic in the second half.

While I do generally prefer my musicals with more dancing than singing, it is hard not to enjoy Streisand. Unless you can't stand her, or just hate musicals, Funny Girl is a bit of light and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment