Monday 13 July 2015

I've Just Seen: Minions (2015)

Minions (2015)


http://www.fatmovieguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Minions-Scarlet-Overkill-Movie-Poster.jpg

Directors: Pierre Coffin, Kyle Balda
Writers: Brian Lynch

I have been going to the cinema quite often lately, seeing five films in the last seven weeks. I saw this a week after seeing Inside Out, another film whose main characters are blue and yellow. Because my sister and I didn't book tickets beforehand, we ended up sitting front-row, centre, which did strain the eyes and neck somewhat.

Despite this the film is quite enjoyable. The Minions are the best part, their comprehensible gibberish providing lots of the humour: my sister and I did chortle at a huge group of Minions "singing" 'Make 'Em Laugh' from Singin' in the Rain. I also enjoyed John Hamm's decidedly different 60s character, the cool-cat husband to Sandra Bullock's villain, Scarlett Overkill (great name).

The film's soundtrack is full of 60s hits, including Donovan's 'Mellow Yellow' (quite rightly). Hopefully this gets kids interested in 60s music. Minions would play well to young children, and does have some jokes that older viewers would appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment