Monday 28 September 2015

I've Just Seen: Wild Strawberries (1957)

Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries) (1957)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-production/release_boxshots/4099-25f518e4f42b3977329b44fab0461b56/139_box_348x490_original.jpg
Director: Ingmar Bergman

I feel like I have completed an unofficial trilogy of films that view life from its end: Tokyo Story, Ikiru and now Wild Strawberries. Each film has moved me in different ways; Bergman's film is the most existential of the three, examining Professpr Isak Borg's life from inside his own head.

The title in Swedish is an idiomatic expression that refers to a place that is a quietly significant for a person. For Isak, it is both a literal place where strawberries grow, and a place in this life he associates with his lost love. The film spend much time in the past, as Isak relives many happy and unhappy memories from childhood. The past interacts in the future, as Isak's thoughts are sparked by a physical resemblance between a young hitchiker and his love, both called Sara.

I seem to always approach Bergman's films expecting them to be sombre and difficult to sit through. I don't know why, particularly after seeing The Seventh Seal. While less light-hearted than that film, this was very moving and 'easy' to watch. Hopefully I will stop having this feeling with Bergman, whose status as one of the greatest directors ever is certainly finding no argument with me. A lovely reflection on a life lived (though whether well is up to you to judge). 

7 comments:

  1. I can't remember if you've seen Smiles of a Summer Night yet. If you haven't it will completely change your opinion on what Bergman was capable of doing on film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet seen it; now I am itching to. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have a five- or six-way tie for my favorite Ingmar Berman film. For a long time, I would just say "Wild Strawberries" because it was easier than remembering all the titles. Nowadays I'm more likely to say "Smiles of a Summer Night."

    Let's see, it's The Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night, Wild Strawberries, Sawdust and Tinsel, Winter Light, The Silence, The Magician. OK, that's seven (because I saw The Magician recently).

    Also, The Magic Flute is amazing. And also The Virgin Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I haven't seen as many of his films as you, I do understand your dilemma. Of the five I have seen, it is very difficult to separate them; only the Hour of the Wolf didn't grab me. The other four are pretty fantastic.

      Delete
    2. I wish The Silence got more exposure. It's so strange. A few members of the Bergman stock company get separated from the rest of the group and have to spend a few days at Fellini Hotel. It's bonkers.

      And yet, it's still very much an Ingmar Bergman film.

      Delete
  3. This is one of those movies I kept thinking of for days after watching. I take that as a sign of quality.
    Curious to think that this was the same Sjörström who made Körkarlen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stayed with me too, which is generally a good thing. Very tender with all its characters; I love Bergman's humanist approach in all his films.

      Delete