Saturday 12 December 2015

I've Just Seen: Victor Victoria (1982)

Victor Victoria (1982)

http://dearauthor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/MV5BMTczMzQzNTYxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU4ODcxMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR30214317_.jpg

Director: Blake Edwards

I usually enjoy films with cross-dressing - Some Like It Hot is my favourite film after all. I also enjoy a good musical, and love Julie Andrews voice. And I like a good farce. So why didn't this work for me?

It started off well, with Robert Preston and Julie Andrews meeting in a restaurant which they proceed to hoodwink. And the concept of turning Andrew's Victoria into a man promised much hilarity. But Andrews in no way convinced as a man; an accusation that could be levelled at Lemmon and Curtis in Some Like, but they played it so broad that it worked. The songs weren't that memorable: I cannot remember any of them (not a good sign for a musical). The farce fell flat, with the people ending up in the wrong room at the wrong time barely raising a laugh.

In short, this did little for me. I was surprised by the very blatant discussions of homosexuality, as I thought the film was older than the 1980s, but it didn't feel naughty any more. A disappointment, sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment