Friday 1 January 2016

I've Just Seen: Jurassic Park (1993)

Jurassic Park (1993)

http://filmschoolrejects.com/images/JURASSIC-PARK-poster.jpg

Director: Steven Spielberg

I never saw the original Jurassic Park films before seeing Jurassic World in 2015. I was slightly underwhelmed with Trevorrow's film, as the visuals could not mask the story problems (the main one being the lack of main protagonist). Having now seen Spielberg's film, I can see what World was referencing in regards to characters and setting.

Throughout my watching of Jurassic Park the two films were in a dialogue in my head, though in a different way than it was for most people. Park is smaller in scale, and therefore arguably more tense, as the emotional investment is not diluted. Jeff Goldblum is scene-stealingly great for the first half, and Dern and Neill are reliably good. The kids are just like kids would be in the situation: scared out of their wits.

The visual effects have held up well considering the time the film was made. I now have context for Trevorrow's film now, and why Claire's character is the way she is. I don't know how I would have responded to this film if I had seen it as a child; obviously, if I had seen it when it came out, and I was three, I would not have coped. As an adult, I enjoyed the action scenes and Goldblum, and am glad to finally tick this off my to-see list.

No comments:

Post a Comment