Wednesday 24 June 2015

I've Just Seen: Jurassic World (2015)

Jurassic World (2015)

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/posters/800/J/Jurassic-World-2015-movie-poster.jpg
Director: Colin Trevorrow

I must make a confession: I haven't yet seen an original Jurassic Park film!!! (Please don't throw things at me!). In my defence, I was only three when the first movie came out, and I never got around to seeing it when it was on TV. And I hadn't planned to see this movie, but my lovely new friends from my film course invited me along, so I went. Did I enjoy it?

Eh.

The visuals were very good, and the film sounded great (nice sound design for the dinosaur roars!). But the story was, well, 'unfocused' is the kindest word I can think of. I didn't really engage with any of the characters, and could feel the cogs of the plot cranking in certain scenes. The lack of a main character was a problem, though our group did decide that Indominus Rex might be a good candidate. Howard's running around in heels didn't bother me as much as the 'woman must learn to be more maternal' plot line. Really, the woman runs a huge dinosaur park full time, and yet she is supposed to take time out of her busy schedule keeping everything safe to walk around with her two nephews who are reasonably self-sufficient? Sigh.

The film overall feels more like a morality tale than a science fiction film: you can tell who is going to die by how nice they are to children. (Good-bye English nannie!).

This is a perfectly fine way to pass a Friday night after a hectic week, which is exactly what I used it for. However, I doubt that it will be considered a classic in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment