Tuesday 5 July 2016

I've Just Seen: Seven Samurai (Shichinin no Samurai) (1954)

Seven Samurai (Shichinin no Samurai) (1954)

http://assets.flicks.co.nz/images/movies/poster/8e/8e77b3768b440a281c5101ca7941d5e0_500x735.jpg

Director: Akira Kurosawa

I've yet to watch a Kurosawa film I didn't enjoy or love. You know a director is great when the debate over what their masterpiece is includes about five or six of their films, and that is certainly true for Kurosawa. Seven Samurai, for me, is up there with Ran and Ikiru, my favourite Kurosawa's films so far (and I am yet to see Throne of Blood, which I am told is just as good).

This epic has a surprisingly simple story: a village seeks to employ a group of samurai to defend it from bandits. One of Kurosawa's greatest (and less talked about strengths) was his focus on character. A large part of the film is focused on the relationships between the samurai and the villagers, and the samurai themselves, all of whom has distinctive personalities. These parts are just as enjoyable to watch as the brilliant fight sequences; in fact, our interest in the unfolding of the battles hangs on our investment in these characters.

Another of Kurosawa's skills as a filmmaker is his ability to make films that are distinctly Japanese, yet are completely accessable to audiences around the world. Seven Samurai does not explain the laws of samurai, or the class system in medieval Japan, yet we understand the differences that strain the relationships between the villagers and samurai.

Despite its length, Seven Samurai never drags, never feels too long, and I can't think of anything that could be cut. All the praise heaped upon this film is well deserved: it is exciting, funny, beautiful in its visual composition, and ultimately moving in its melancholic finale. One to watch again and again.

6 comments:

  1. Regarding Kurosawa, I agree completely. My favorite Kurosawa film is Throne of Blood by default, but the reality is that with the exception of Dersu Uzala (which is good, not great), my favorite Kurosawa film is whatever one I watched the most recently.

    Seven Samurai is damn-near perfect. I don't know what else to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to Throne of Blood, particularly after seeing Ran, which is brilliant. Kurosawa is a bit like Kubrick, Bergman or even Billy Wilder; so many great films to choose from; you are pretty much guranteed something great when you watch them.

      Delete
  2. I agree completely. Kurosawa had a knack for character studies. All his essential characters are multi-dimensional and alive as real people, even in the more stylized Throne of Blood. My favorite so far is Seven Samurai because it combines everything that is great about Kurosawa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that people often think that Ikiru is very different from his others, but it is not when you consider his interest in human beings.

      I'll be interested to see what you make of Ran when you eventually get to it!

      Delete
  3. Kurosawa made one masterpiece after another. I saw No Regrets for Our Youth and The Lower Depths within the last few months and they were two more great movies from Kurosawa.

    My two favorites are Yojimbo and High and Low, but after that, it's a ten-way tie for third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did indeed! I was slightly worried that by watching his most acclaimed first I was dooming myself to disappointment when watching the less well-known ones, but I don't think that will be a problem - he seems incapable of making a bad film.

      Delete