Friday 13 November 2015

I've Just Seen: Barefoot in the Park (1967)

Barefoot in the Park (1967)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f2/b5/74/f2b574b1334e9a267f6db8e2dd36efe2.jpg

Director: Gene Saks

While I started off enjoying this romantic comedy about a young couple settling in to married life, I found myself rather disliking it by the second half. Why? Unfortunately it is largely down to Jane Fonda's Corie, the free-spirited wife to Robert Redford's 'stuff-shirt' Paul. The two had good chemistry, but their relationship lost much credibility when they nearly end it all because of a fight. Breakdowns in communication are usually the cause of tension, drama and occasionally comedy for couples in films (and life as well, obviously); however, I didn't find the childish behaviour of Corie funny or endearing, just plain annoying.

Other than that this is a well-acted film, though the plot felt a little thin, and a touch dated. The pokey space of the couple's new home is well used, though it doesn't quite shake its stage origins. Barefoot is fine, but one I am unlikely to revisit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment