Wednesday 25 November 2020

Freaky (2020)

 

Director: Christopher Landon

Freaky is classic high-concept film: a body-swap story with the twist where the swappers are a shy teenage girl, and a serial killer straight out of a slasher film. Not high art certainly, but what could have been simply stupid and disposable is actually very funny, with two surprisingly plumb lead roles for Kathryn Newton and Vince Vaughn. And most astonishing of all, a considerable amount of sweetness.

I am not a Vince Vaughn fan, and am not sure if I've even seen any films his been in, except maybe Dodgeball (not my kind of comedy). So take that into account when I say it is a great turn from him. He is convincing as the murderous Blissfield Butcher, but really makes the teen girl stuck in a middle man's body work. He doesn't over play the "girliness" of the character Millie, and to me stayed on the right side of camp. There were several moments of comedy gleaned from his height and strength, and a scene in a car between Millie (as Vaughn) and her crush that goes further than you'd expect, and doesn't make it gross. Newton clearly relishes playing the murderous persona in the body of an innocent-looking girl. The revenge visited on several revolting teenage boys, and a bullying teacher, is particularly enjoyable.

Freaky is a fun spin on a constantly re-hashed concept, and manages to be funny, nasty and sweet all at once. Someone could probably write a fun thesis on the film's comments on gender, but you can also just enjoy it as a great diversion from a crappy year.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know Vince Vaughn even made movies anymore. This one sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the trailer I remember thinking the film would be more comedy, and frat-boy comedy at that, so I figured I wouldn't go see it. But the reviews were good, particularly for Vince Vaughn's performance, so I was intrigued. I'm glad I saw it.

      Not sure when it might be on streaming. Because Australia is doing well COVID-wise, the cinemas are open, and I saw it there.

      Delete