Friday 8 May 2015

I've Just Seen: In the Cut (2003)

In the Cut (2003)

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/in-the-cut-2003/large_kYt3pcL609akIL0chTjBlQqO7af.jpg

Director: Jane Campion
Writers: Jane Campion, Susanna Moore (from Moore's novel)
Notable Actors: Meg Ryan, Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Jason Leigh and an uncredited Kevin Bacon

My enjoyment of Jane Campion's films varies. I really liked An Angel at My Table and Sweetie, thought Bright Star was beautiful looking if not as deep as I expected, and felt largely underwhelmed by The Piano. In the Cut is uneven, with some good performances, particularly from Leigh and Ruffalo. Meg Ryan was an interesting choice, but ultimately I didn't get a handle on what her character wanted. Sub-plots were not really wrapped up, and I was not entirely sure what Kevin Bacon was doing here.

The cinematography was deliberately in and out of focus throughout the film, emphasising the shiftiness of many of the characters. The colour palette was washed out browns with occasional splashes of blood. The sex scenes are not really salacious, and its is only seeing Meg Ryan playing against type that makes them remarkable. If you want to see an erotic crime thriller, watch Basic Instinct; it is more bonkers, and more enjoyable as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment