Tuesday 19 May 2015

I've Just Seen: Children of Men (2006)

Children of Men (2006)

http://craigerscinemacorner.com/Images/children-of-men-poster.jpg


Director: Alfonso Cuaron

I like films that don't explain every single detail; the reason is because it allows the audience some participation in composing the story being presented. Cuaron does this brilliantly in Children of Men. It also makes sense: Clive Owen's Theo is thrust into this world he doesn't know anything about, and not everything is explained to him. And really, there is no time for exposition. I also love a good dose of symbolism, and this film had plenty of it: the barn, Theo and Kee being part of the refugee crowd (a la Mary and Joseph in the Bible), the 'fishes,' the constant cries of 'Jesus Christ.' 

The long shot technique is one of my favourites in all of film; Kubrick and Steven McQueen are masters of it, and I can now add Cuaron to that list. The car scene is the most remarked upon scene from this film (and with good reason), but for me the refugee camp scene in the third act was the best: we were as exposed as Owen's Theo and were denyed a 'breath' from the relentless bullets and explosions with a shot change.

This goes straight to my list of 'Great' films. Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment