Sunday 13 March 2016

I've Just Seen: Napoleon (1927)

Napoleon (1927)

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/CoverArtUnverified/7550.jpg

Director: Abel Gance

Filmmakers, unfortunately, don't make biopics like this anymore. Rather than attempt to recreate every event in Napoleon Bonaparte's life, aim at historical verisimilitude, or try to probe into the psychology of this famous character, Gance opts for operatic mythologising. From the opening moments of this epic sweep, we see stirrings of greatness in young Bonaparte, a greatness not recognised by his (snobby) peers. As someone who grew up on English history and comedy, where Bonaparte was the butt of jokes, and the great enemy of Britain, this heroic depiction of the French emperor made my experience all the more fresh and interesting.

I saw the three hours, forty-five-ish cut of the film, with a fantastic score by Carmine Coppola. Incorporating themes from other famous composers, with "La Marseillaise" a constant throughout, the music helps strengthen the epicness of the story. It is particularly masterful in the scene where de Lisle teaches the masses to sing the anthem, their silent voices in time with this famous tune. With its use of French Impressionism techniques, Gance's film feels alive and fresh, the camera moving around with great energy; the scene of Bonaparte being swept around by a storm at sea intercut with scenes of discontent at the National Assembly represented by a swinging camera was a personal favourite.

I really liked this. While long, it rarely dragged, and though I know the ultimate outcome of this period of history, I was swept along by the bravado of the storytelling. It has been added to my list of films I want to see on the big screen, ideally with a live performance of Coppola's score.


6 comments:

  1. I saw the first hour and the last hour of Napoleon on A & E in the 1990s, and I was very impressed with it. Had I known twenty years would pass without another opportunity for me to see it, I would have made more of an effort to watch the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, film regret, I like we all have similar stories like that!

      It is definitely worth seeking out.

      Delete
  2. Did you also see the Renoir version a decade later? Gance's version is impressive, at least technically, but Renoir's version is a genuinely good movie. And one in which the Marseillaise takes a special place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, I shall look out for it; I'm guessing its the one called 'La Marseillaise'. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  3. I thought this was impressive, and you're right--this isn't a "warts and all" biography or even a "warts removed" biography. This is pure myth-making, and it's kind of a beautiful thing to see.

    This would be fantastic on a big screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of the myth-making was the choice to finish the film with the huge, victorious battle at the end. It rather ignores the rest of history, which is less successful for the 'heroic' Napoleon. You do have to admire that chutzpah of storytelling.

      I would pay good money to see this at the cinema!

      Delete