Thursday 16 July 2015

I've Just Seen: Young Frankenstein (1974)

Young Frankenstein (1974)

https://drnorth.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/poster-young-frankenstein.jpg


Director: Mel Brooks

It was whilst watching Herzog's Nosferatu that I developed a sudden desire to watch this film. Not sure why. Young Frankenstein was on hard rotation in our house about ten years ago, and several friends had also seen it, meaning we could quote away to our heart's content. However, I hadn't watched this for at least five years, and decided to indulge myself and re-watch it.

Watching beloved films from one's youth often reveals how one's approach to film-watching has changed. I realised I had never really followed the plot that closely when a teen, and had forgotten how the film ended (apart from the very last scene). I also hadn't appreciated the genius of using similar cinematography to the films Young Frankenstein is parodying.

The film is still one of the funniest ever made. Gene Wilder plays the straight role well, complementing Marty Feldman's utterly brilliant Igor. The rest of the cast are great, all naturally funny. Always make sure that at least one other friend/ family member knows this film so you can share in the joy of the film's many quotable gags.

No comments:

Post a Comment