Saturday 18 July 2015

I've Just Seen: Pocahontas (1995)

Pocahontas (1995)

https://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/24/A70-12132


Directors: Mike Gabriel, Eric Goldberg

I had not seen this film for a long time. I remembered several of the songs, and vaguely knew the story. What I had not remembered was how short the film was. Or how quickly the film moves through the story. It takes Pocahontas and John Smith ONE song to fall in love, and Pocahontas is particularly good at picking up English.

The film's visuals are quite beautiful, but as this is Disney, that shouldn't be a surprise. 'The Colours of the Wind' is the highlight of the film, a good song with wonderful drawings. Apart from this, the film feels incredibly flimsy; there is no depth to the plot, unlike The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. They could have taken 10 more minutes, extended the first act, and the film would have been better. As it is, I feel I barely got to know the characters, and therefore didn't care about their plight as much as I wanted to.

When I was a child this clearly didn't bother me, as I paid little attention to plot, and instead focused on segments (like songs). This film is suitable for young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment